Rainbow Chiffon Cake
I believe most of us can’t agree more that we grew up with chiffon cake, or to be more specific, pandan chiffon cake. It is one of the most basic recipes, yet, I went through rounds of failure before.
7 egg whites, 7 egg yolks
10ml corn oil
120ml warm water
2 x 60gram brown sugar (I used Sanoto brand)
155gram superfine flour
1/4 teaspoon Himalaya rock salt
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sweet potato paste (purple)
2 tablespoons Pandanextract
2 tablespoons orange juice and orange pulp
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Whisk egg yolks and 1 portion of sugar till light and fluffy, add in the corn oil followed by warm water. Mix well.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder. Once evenly combined, divide the batter into 4 portions and set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, put in the egg whites and cream of tartar. Whisk until soft peak is forms then add in the sugar. Continue to whisk until you get a stiff peak.
- Divide the meringue into 4 equal portions too.
- Fold in 1 portion of meringue into 1 portion of batter. Add in the flavouring and mix well. Repeat the same for other three portions of batter and meringue.
- Pour one portion of the mixed batter slowly and as high as possible into the chiffon cake tin. Gently tap the cake tin few times to remove any large air bubbles. Repeat the same for other three portions of mixed batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for an hour. Once done, invert the cake tin upside down and let it to be completely cool before remove the cake.