Pandan Ogura Cake
Ogura cake’s recipe is very similar to chiffon cake, which has a light and soft texture. This recipe was once tops the ‘must try’ list of many food bloggers.
50g Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO)
60g coconut milk
Pinch of salt
5 egg yolks & 1 whole egg
2 tablespoons pandan essence
75g superfine flour
5 egg whites (200g)
80g castor sugar
½ teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Line baking sheet at the bottom of an ungreased 8 inch cake tin. Preheat the oven at 150C with a shallow tray of tap water on the most bottom rack.
- Whisk the first five ingredients with a hand whisk until mixed well. Sift in the flour and continue to whisk until the batter become smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until foamy then add in cream of tartar. Beat for another minute before you add in the castor sugar gradually till peak form.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolks batter and mix with a hand mixer till combine well. Repeat the same step for other two portions of meringue.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and tap it lightly to remove air bubbles.
- Steam bake at 150c for 70 minutes.
- Once done, remove the cake tin from oven. Peel off the baking sheet and invert cake on wire rack to cool.